UAE SMBs Rethink Cross-Channel Tech Investment


When it comes to investment plans in mobile order-ahead features, touchless payments at the brick-and-mortar point of sale (POS) and in-store kiosk pickup options for eCommerce purchases, small- and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are top of the list.

Their shopping index scores were higher than the average of those of six countries in a recent cross-country PYMNTS study based on a survey of 3,100 businesses and 13,114 consumers across six countries – Australia, Brazil, Mexico, the UAE, the United Kingdom and the United States.

Read the report: 2022 Global Digital Shopping Index – SMB Edition

The SMB-focused PYMNTS study, published in collaboration with Cybersourceshowed that for mobile order-ahead, SMBs in the Middle Eastern country earned a score (41.1%), almost 8 points higher than the six-country average.

In touchless payments at the brick-and-mortar POS, UAE merchants also ranked highest among the six countries, scoring seven points higher than average when it involved contactless payments without checkout, and earning a little less than three points higher than the average for payments at checkout.

The highest gap was recorded for in-store kiosk pickup options for online purchases, with UAE merchants scoring 9.5 points higher than the average of 24.7%, with UK SMBs placing second at 26.1%.

Overall, the report showed that SMBs, regardless of location, offer far more of the features necessary to support a seamless cross-channel shopping experience than their larger competitors, a reason why they no longer feel the same need to invest in technology development.

For example, a mere 20% of these businesses planned on investing in voice-recognition technology in the next three years because the technology is already ubiquitous among the remaining 80%, while only 30% said they had plans to invest in buy now, pay later (BNPL) in the next three years because most of the remaining 70% already offer it.

SMB investments



April Study PYMNTS 1

About: Shoppers who have store cards use them for 87% of all eligible purchases – but this does not mean retailers should boot buy now, pay later (BNPL) options from checkout. The Truth About BNPL And Store Cards, a PYMNTS and PayPal collaboration, surveys 2,161 consumers to find out why providing both BNPL and store cards are key to helping merchants maximize conversion.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here